Rockstar has confirmed the Grand Theft Auto VI footage leaked online over the weekend was stolen from his network. The user who posted the gameplay, ‘teapotuberhacker’, claims they also carried out an attack on Uber last week, but it’s still unclear if they’re actually connected.
“We recently experienced a network breach in which an unauthorized third party illegally accessed and downloaded confidential information from our systems, including early development footage for the upcoming Grand Theft Auto,” Rockstar said. said on Twitter. “We are extremely disappointed to have details of our next game shared with you all in this way. Our work on the next Grand Theft Auto game will continue as planned and we remain more committed than ever to providing you, our players, an experience that truly exceeds your expectations.
A message from Rockstar Games pic.twitter.com/T4Wztu8RW8
— Rockstar Games (@RockstarGames) September 19, 2022
At this time, details on how the “network intrusion” happened are slim, but Rockstar says it will “update everyone soon.” The edge contacted Rockstar with a request for comment but did not immediately respond.
On Sunday morning, the hacker posted a 3 GB file containing 90 videos of the first GTA VI gameplay footage, which aligns with previous reports that the game may feature a female protagonist for the first time. The hacker also threatened to “leak more data soon,” which could include source code, assets, and test builds of both. GTA V and GTA VI.